Are conservatives still fighting the Cold War?
The hypothesis of this post is that all conventional conservative policies and beliefs are holdovers form the Cold War.
1. Capitalism at all costs. To differentiate ourselves from the evil “Union of Soviet Socialist Republics” we must have unwavering support for laissez-faire capitalism and opposition to anything which remotely resembles government interference in the “free market.”
2. Military spending. The USSR has a massive military, we must spend to keep up with them so that we don’t lose World War III.
3. Immigration. People want to escape from the USSR. The fact that people want to move here demonstrates our moral superiority over the commies and must be embraced.
4. Religion. The USSR is officially atheist. We must embrace religion to demonstrate our moral superiority over the commies. Even a Muslim is better than an atheist. (Also note that the USSR has a very high abortion rate.)
5. Support Democracy. Unwavering support for Democracy in all countries of the world to differentiate them from the totalitarian USSR.
I propose that it’s time for post-Cold-War conservatism.