Lion of the Blogosphere

Yogurt soda?

I had a can of Calpico soda with my lunch. If I had known it was supposed to be yogurt soda, I probably wouldn’t have selected it. But in fact, it tastes more like Sprite than any dairy product.

This is one of those weird foods that are neither SWPL (it’s sugary soda) nor prole (it’s from Japan). Also, I give it a thumbs down. The best-tasting soda is Sanpellegrino. Any other soda besides Sanpellegrino isn’t worth the empty calories.

Written by Lion of the Blogosphere

April 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM

Posted in Bobos

28 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. San Pellegrino is fine, but see if you can find a bottle of Badoit (it’s a French sparkling mineral water). I think it is the best tasting water I have ever had. Should be fairly easy to get in NYC.

    ASF

    April 14, 2019 at 2:21 PM

  2. Not Apollinaris? 🙂

    Gilbert Ratchet

    April 14, 2019 at 2:47 PM

  3. Food from Japan is hipster.

    Justice Duvall

    April 14, 2019 at 3:45 PM

  4. I have no idea why anyone wants gas bubbles in their system, whatever the flavor. Someone once asked Chris Evert why she didn’t drink colas. She said, “I don’t drink gas.”

    Marty

    April 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM

  5. That sounds like kombucha, which is a syrupy-sweet fermented soda. Yuck.

    If you like IPAs, try mixing two parts IPA with one part kombucha. I call it a kombeercha. It’s actually quite tasty.

    By the way, feel free to steal the word kombeercha — I never trademarked it. But if it does pass into wide use, I warn you I will endlessly crow that I invented the word.

    NWS4EVR

    April 14, 2019 at 4:02 PM

    • It tastes more like Sprite than anything else.

      Lion of the Blogosphere

      April 14, 2019 at 4:18 PM

      • Like Newport cigarettes, Sprite has become the soft drink of blacks.

        enwurd

        April 14, 2019 at 9:43 PM

      • I was not aware of that.

        Lion of the Blogosphere

        April 14, 2019 at 10:22 PM

      • Sprite has become the soft drink of blacks.

        It’s been that way for over 20 years. From my days in Micky d’s drive through, you could predict the drink order by the voice “90% chance Sprite 10% chance orange drank” vs ” 90% chance coke or diet coke”

        everybodyhatesscott

        April 15, 2019 at 12:31 PM

  6. I had it in Japan, didn’t realize people are importing it. There, it’s called Calpis, which sounds a lot like “cow piss”, so not surprised they changed the name.

    But it’s not carbonated, as I recall, though it has the acidic “bite” of soda. I didn’t think it tasted like anything else I could name.

    Wency

    April 14, 2019 at 5:13 PM

    • The version I had in the U.S. is a carbonated soda.

      Lion of the Blogosphere

      April 14, 2019 at 8:46 PM

      • There’s a carbonated one (“Calpis Soda”) and a non-carbonated one (“Calpis Water”).

        Kyo

        April 16, 2019 at 4:13 AM

  7. I remember a blog post from years ago about Bloomberg trying to restrict soda in NY. I don’t recall what my opinion was at the time. I probably had mixed feelings about. Regardless, I definitely lean more towards banning it today. I think the reason is my irritation towards people trying to legalize drugs as well as make me pay for other people’s healthcare. They made it my business the second they made it my problem.

    destructure

    April 14, 2019 at 5:32 PM

    • Soda is the #1 source of calories for Americans. Next are grain based desserts, and bread products.

      toomanymice

      April 15, 2019 at 7:53 AM

      • “Soda is the #1 source of calories for Americans.”

        I’m not saying that people should drink it all the time, but I don’t see 140 calories making something a #1 source of calories. That’s less than a bagel.

        Lion of the Blogosphere

        April 15, 2019 at 9:29 AM

      • People drink 5 cans of it.

        everybodyhatesscott

        April 15, 2019 at 12:32 PM

  8. GUS (Grown Up Soda) is pretty good. It is sold in New York. I prefer Fanta orange to San Pellegrino.

    Daniel Heneghan

    April 14, 2019 at 5:47 PM

  9. Boylan Soda might be SWPL. It’s made from cane sugar and it’s also a local NYC product. Proles drink the usual cocky coda or acidic sweetwater with high fructose.

    Ok, what, who's this again?

    April 14, 2019 at 7:01 PM

  10. Just this week I decided to give up soda, For the past 30 years, I’ve consumed two 10 oz. cans of Diet Mountain Dew, mixed 1:1 with water, each day. I’m substituting with water and a splash of lemon juice.

    E. Rekshun

    April 14, 2019 at 7:37 PM

    • I normally only drink seltzer. The soda was a treat.

      Lion of the Blogosphere

      April 14, 2019 at 8:49 PM

      • Seltzer is prole in 2019. Sparkling water is its SWPL term.

        Ok, what, who's this again?

        April 15, 2019 at 12:32 AM

  11. Do you know that you can substitute kombucha mother SCOBY for raw fish in sushi? Baby SCOBY is especially good. SCOBY stands for Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast.

    My 2¢

    April 15, 2019 at 2:35 AM

  12. One of my earliest childhood memories is complete tactile horror after my first sip of soda. I still don’t understand why anyone drinks carbonated beverages willingly. Other than an occasional sip when extremely thirsty and nothing else was available, I’ve never touched it since.

    toomanymice

    April 15, 2019 at 7:51 AM

  13. I looked this stuff up on Wikipedia and it seems that it includes nonfat dry milk and is produced by lactic acid fermentation. Therefore, I think that SWPLs would drink it, because the sugar is a necessary part of the fermentation process, not added solely to make it taste sweet. (Don’t SWPLs drink beer? At least, craft beer, not Miller Lite. ) Also, I think SWPLs would eat/drink sugar if it was turbinado sugar or something else “natural” sounding as opposed to high fructose corn syrup or mass-produced refined sucrose. And of course, hipsters would drink sugary soda as long as it was retro, like the Coke they offer in the original looking glass bottles.

    Hermes

    April 15, 2019 at 9:59 AM

  14. Ginger beer is pretty much the only soda I look for now. Most of it is pretty good.

    Other than that, I avoid it.

    Half Canadian

    April 15, 2019 at 6:03 PM


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: